Mandy's Greenhouses / Watermelon
Goodness knows no limit to fresh, sweet delicious watermelon, grown by you our happy gardener! The success in this category, will be enough to swell your chest & tummy!
Available as Seed only! Once a var. is marked “N/A”, no more will be offered. Packets will be $1.50.
- Black Diamond Yellow Fleshed – as the name says…New!
- Citron, Red Seeded – Not your typical watermelon. Solid white flesh is inedible raw. This variety has been grown for centuries and is used to make preserves and sweet meats that are added to cookies, fruitcakes and puddings. Well-cured fruits can be stored for up to one year! (Mine was harvested in Sept. and in March, the fruits are still round and solid, with no blemish to be seen…) 90-100 days N/A
- Cream of Saskatchewan – We could call this one, our very own watermelon…brought to Canada (Sask.) by a Russian immigrant. It finishes very early here (Man.) Can weigh 6-8 lbs…producing round, large light green, with thin darker green striped, fruits. Rind is thin, so watch out as the least bump causes the ripe fruits to crack! Great producer. Flesh is crisp, sweet and pale yellow. Rinds are medium green with darker green thin stripes. N/A
- Daisy (Yellow Shipper) – New!
- Golden Midget – Bred by Elwyn Meader and Albert Yaeger, intro. in 1959…a cross between New Hampshire Midget and Pumpkin Rind. The entire plant and fruits turn golden yellow when ripe. The flesh is pink/salmon, and pleasantly sweet with black seeds. Fruits average about 3 to 4 lbs. Extremely early. 70 days. “few”
- Golden Russian – New! One of our largest “gold” skinned melons with beautiful sweet red flesh!
- Katanya – (from Katanya…) via a Russian immigrant lady now living in northern Illinois. This “icebox” variety has light rose/red flesh, small seeds and great refreshing flavor. Fruits are dark green, small to medium sized. Plants offer heavy yields on healthy strong vines. Should be a vigorous and strong grower for Canadian gardeners. 67 days N/A
- Melitopoliski – New! N/A
- Missouri Yellow Fleshed – a great heirloom variety from the “Watermelon …Show Me State”. Produces oval to round melons of 20 lb, with pale green skin and bright golden/yellow flesh with black seeds. Beautiful! Flesh is sweetly refreshing and crisp. Very hard to find. Rare
- Moon and Stars (Ice Cream Flavored) – another “Moon & Stars” version with pink flesh. Shared with me by my friend Micki. White-seeded, nearly round fruits. Very sweet refreshing “ice cream” flavor wrapped up in a modest 10 lb package…although am told it can reach 20 lbs. 95 days N/A
- Moon and Stars (Red) – well, one can never get enough of another M & S watermelon. Just like all the others…foliage & skin are spotted with yellow, with one difference…the fruits are elongated 20-24” long! Weights are 10-25 lbs. Flesh is a bright pink, sweet with black seeds. A fantastic “drink” on a hot day! 95 days. N/A
- Moon and Stars (Yellow) – like the original M & S, except that the foliage & fruits are spotted with yellow. What’s more, is that the FLESH is yellow, too! AND the seeds are white! Fruits are 18-24” long with many weighing from 20 to 25 lbs. 95 days N/A
- Orange Fleshed Tender-Sweet – an excellent deep orange fleshed variety. These seem to yield better than most others. Flesh is glorious to look at and easy to eat! Sweet, crisp and very flavorful. Fruits offer large oval-shaped, emerald dark green heavy-weights. A great show-stopper at any garden market. 90 days N/A
- Orange Glo – Skin is light green with jagged dark green stripes. Large oblong fruits weigh 20-30 lbs. They are very unique in color…the only one having very deep orange, sweet, crisp flesh. An outstanding variety and excellent producer. 90-100 days N/A
- Royal Golden – really fell in love with the way this one looks. Another perfectly round variety with grand character, rind will turn a deep golden yellow when perfectly ripe and ready to pick. Flesh is deep rose with white seeds. Am told that it will finish larger (about 10-20 lbs…) than our little “Golden Midget“. 80-95 days N/A
- Osk Kirgizia – A Russian variety brought back into production (from virtual extinction) in 1992. Round 10-15 lb. fruits with light green skin and uniquely jagged dark green stripes. Very, very pretty. And the taste?..very sweet, tasty and pink-fleshed. 90-100 days N/A
- Sugar Baby – an early dependable for the North, variety bearing round fruits, 6-8” in diameter, averaging 3 ½ to 4 lbs average. This variety has few seeds. Flesh is pinkish/red and as usual…sweet. Skin is the traditional dark green with light green finer stripes. Plants remain as a bush form. 75 days
- Sweet Siberian – This variety was one of several varieties evaluated by the New Hampshire Agr. Exp. Station in 1901. SSE member…Glenn Drowns, obtained it originally from the USDA and reintroduced this variety several years ago. Medium-sized, light green, oblong melons weigh about 8-10 lbs and offer extremely sweet, juicy, apricot-colored flesh with small brown seeds. 80-85 days N/A
- White Sugar Lump – New! N/A
Within these pages you will find some of the most unusual vegetables (plants and seeds) from all corners of the globe, as you will not find anywhere else! Welcome...be amazed and enjoy!