Mandy's Greenhouses / Books/Dvd’s
- THE END OF FOOD by Thomas Pawlick How the Food Industry is destroying our food supply and what you can do about it. Highly recommended! Author points to changes that have taken place in the food industry over the last 60 years. Research both in the US and Canada has shown that the vitamins and minerals in supermarkets produce have decreased by as much as 70% in that time frame. – Jeff Green Newsweb.ca 2007
- THE PRAIRIE GARDEN 2010 - “Annuals & Biennials” A little (big) annual magazine (…185 pages of enlightening garden articles & a gorgeous photo center…) assembled and published by the Prairie Garden Committee, of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada. Year 2009 was “Deciduous Shrubs”. Year 2008 was “Roses”. Of special interest in this year 2010′s Edition Mandy Botincan has her article published, entitled “To Demystify the Alpine“…Page # 171. Be sure to get an autographed copy for your collection at our G.H. !
- ORCHIDS OF MANITOBA – 2005 Highly recommended! Put together by members of the Native Orchid Conservation Society of Manitoba. “One of the best orchid guides in N.A., a blend of excellence, accuracy and quality…the photographs are exceptional…a great book. – Paul M. Catling
- SAVING SEEDS As Our Lives depend on it. 2006 by Dan Jason Governments used to be in charge of preserving and enhancing our seeds. Seed production has now been handed over to corporations that design and own seeds to fatten themselves, but certainly not to nourish people. Dan is the President of the Seed and Plant Sanctuary for Canada and the owner of his own seed company.
- SWEET POTATOES for the HOME GARDENER 1998 By Ken Allan “The eccentric sweet potato demands that it be treated differently than any other garden vegetable. But if you are willing to be accommodating, sweet potatoes are not difficult to grow. After harvest, if you do right by them, they maintain superb quality in storage for eight months to a year. And despite their tropical origin, sweet potatoes can be grown just about anywhere that one can ripen tomatoes. This book tells you what you need to know to grow a year’s supply of the sweetest, tastiest and most nutritious root crop.”
- THE WHOLE ORGANIC FOOD BOOK 2001 by Dan Jason This book provides insight and inspiration for those wanting to grow and eat food that is pure and natural. Whole food guru (and author) Mr. Jason encourages and instructs on the ways to regaining control over our food supply through sensible, natural gardening techniques.
DVD ‘S AND VHS:
- GENETIC MATRIX by Ian Mauro (a VHS tape of 30 mins.) The Percy Schmeiser case and the Fight for the Future of Life. (Popular and out-spoken geneticist David Suzuki is featured.)
- THE FUTURE OF FOOD by Deborah Koons Garcia (DVD, one part runs 1.5 Hrs.) Produced by Lily Films of Mill Valley, California, US. 2-Disc special edition. Highly recommended! There is a revolution happening on the farm fields and on the dinner tables of NA. This film investigates into the disturbing truth behind the unlabeled, patented, genetically engineered foods that have quietly filled grocery store shelves. All this in only the last 15 short years! “Quietly inflammatory…unsettling!” – Stephen Holden The New York Times
- SEEDS OF CHANGE by Ian Mauro, Stephan Mclauhlan & Jim Sanders 2002 Examines the controversy surrounding the use of genetically modified (GM) crops across the Canadian prairies. A publicly funded project and part of a larger comprehensive research program examining the risks associated with biotechnology in agriculture. This documentary contributes a new voice and perspective to the debates – that of the farmers!
Within these pages you will find some of the most unusual vegetables (plants and seeds) from all corners of the globe, as you will not find anywhere else! Welcome...be amazed and enjoy!